1. Accommodations in Historic Hotels in Castles, Palaces, Monasteries and Fortresses
2. Magnificent views over the rivers and luxuriant vegetation
3. Santa Luzia and the beautiful view over Viana
4. Churches and Manor houses everywhere
5. The rich gastronomy and the famous wine of the region: vinho verde
6. The religious city of Braga and its churches
7. Guimaraes - the birth of Portuguese nationality
8. Re-live history itself in each stone, each glance and each object
9. Peneda/Geres National Park and the amazing landscape
10. Feeling a different outstanding atmosphere in each Pousada.
This is a gorgeous Hybrid bike tour which takes you to several Manor Houses, Palaces and Monasteries; these magnificent places were once inhabited by the clergy or the Queens and Kings of Portugal and now are converted into exquisite lodgings, which we call POUSADAS. This Tour starts in Valenca do Minho which is a historic village in Northern Portugal located near the Spanish border; the border line is the beautiful river Minho and the village is surrounded by walls. There is a fortress with two towers and double walls, several manor houses and small palaces and several churches too. Then we will ride to Viana do Castelo, a town founded in the 13th century and whose port was one of the main ports from which the Portuguese explorers set sail, due to the Discoveries in the 16th century. We will visit Braga, the oldest Portuguese city and one of the oldest Christian cities in the World. It was founded in the Roman times as Bracara Augusta and it has more than 2000 years of History as a city. We will cross the hills in Geres and will stay in a 12th century Monastery converted into a charming hotel. Next stop will be in a Nature hotel located in the heart of Peneda/Geres National Park with a breathtaking view over the river and the peaceful Canicada dam. On our last day we will ride to Guimaraes which is traditionally known as the birthplace of the Portuguese nation. You can visit the medieval historic centre, the castle and the palace nearby and feel the medieval atmosphere around you.
Day 1: Arrival. Welcome at Oporto airport. 1H00 drive to Valenca, briefing about the tour followed by dinner. Lodging in a Pousada which is set on the highest place of the old fortified area of Valenca, with a great view to Spanish border.
Day 2: Cycling along the river borderline - 62km (39mi), level 4. After breakfast we leave Valenca and ride towards Viana do Castelo, a city founded in the 13th century and whose port was one of the main ports of sailing during the Portuguese Discovery Journeys in the 16th century. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a Pousada set on the hill of Santa Luzia, overlooking the city and the beautiful estuary of the river Lima.
Day 3: Along the Lima river banks - 32km (20mi), level 1. After breakfast we ride towards Ponte de Lima, the oldest small town in Portugal with its amazing bridge which was the only safe way to cross Lima river until the end of Middle Age. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a new 4*Hotel.
Day 4: The most typical views in Minho region - 49km (30mi), level 4. After breakfast we ride on the green and luxuriant Geres Hills and here and there we can find some houses. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a Pousada that is the result of the restoration of a former Cistercian Monastery from the 12th century.
Day 5: Climbing the green luxuriant hills -18km (11mi), level 2. After breakfast we leave the 12th century Monastery and we ride up the green Geres Hills. Our ride is short but very steep until we get to our next Pousada; however the dazzling views make the effort worth. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a nature Pousada with a unique location, right in the heart of Peneda/Geres National Park.
Day 6: Guimaraes, the birthplace of Portugal - 37km (23mi), level 3. After breakfast we ride towards Guimaraes, the birth of Portuguese nationality. We leave the Peneda Geres National Park and we start to ride down to this historic city. Visit to the medieval historic centre, to the castle and palace where you can feel the medieval atmosphere around you. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a Pousada which is the result of the restoration of a former Augustine Monastery dated of the 12th century.
Day 7: Departure - Farewell at Oporto airport (0H40 drive).
Type: Hybrid Bike Tour
Class: HISTORIC TOUR
Version: Guided or Self-Guided
Region of Portugal: Minho (coast and inland)
Duration: 7 days / 6 nights / 5 days cycling
Begin: Valenca (Minho)
End: Guimaraes (Minho)
Difficulty level (1-5): 1 2 3 4 5
= Intermediate. You must be in good shape
Distance: 198km (123mi)
Average: 40km/day (25mi/day)
Trails: 75% asphalt + 25% dirt-roads
The price includes:
- 7-day Road Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Oporto Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights in Pousadas �" luxury Historic Hotels): one 12th century Monastery, one 17th century Fortress, one 20th century Palace, one 19th century Palacelike Mansion, one typical House in the mountains, one Palacelike Mansion. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 5 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Pousada to Pousada
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Liability Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
=> Prices per person, double bedroom occupancy in Pousadas - luxury Historic Hotels.
=> If you want a different date, ask us about prices and availability.
HYBRID BIKE: SCOTT Sportster 20 Solution
Frame: Alloy 6061 Double Butted
Fork: Front suspension Suntour, 63mm travel with lock
Brakes: Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
Gears: Shimano Deore, 30 speeds (44x32x24 with 11-34)
Pedals: Normal (with cages or not) or Shimano SPD
Tires: Hybrid 700x40 (28"x1.6)
Weight: 12kg (26 pounds)
Other: Man or woman seat, 2,5 liter front bag on the handlebar and 1,6 liter seat bag.
(please see picture #26)
2. This tour takes place in the north of Portugal to avoid the heat on summer time.
3. If you wish a different date, ask us for prices and availability.
4. You can join two Portugalbike tours and have a 2-week program (10% discount on the second tour).
5. If you wish to rent a bicycle for this Tour add Euro 100.
6. E-Bikes - Don't feel bad for being the last one: you can also opt for riding an electric-bicycle. See more info here.
7. Prices per Person, double bedroom occupancy, usually luxuary Historic buildings.
8. Groups: Discount for Groups with 4 or more people.
|Link Code |