|Portugal Bike - The Amazing Algarve Coast|
|October 13||From: 0||From: 0||per person/week|
1. Thousands of orange trees in the fields
2. Ria Formosa, sand and water paradise for birds
3. Tasty fresh fish of the Atlantic Coast
4. Vast fields of vegetable crops
5. Tavira- the most typical town in the Algarve
6. The limpid and clear water of the sea and the birds
7. Cape S. Vicente - the birds and the sunset into the Atlantic Ocean
8. Sagres - the south-westernmost point of Continental Europe
9. The gorgeous beaches and beautiful coast of the Algarve region
10. Lagos - the cosmopolitan and the oldest town in the Algarve
This is a landscape tour that takes place along the south coast of Portugal. You will start in Sagres, which is the place from where our brave forefathers sailed on their caravels seeking new peoples and continents. Cape S. Vicente is the start point, the south-westernmost point in Continental Europe � the place where the land ends and the sea begins. And you will always ride eastwards towards the Spanish border.
You will visit some of the beaches of our famous Algarve including the cosmopolitan city of Lagos. This is one of the oldest towns in the Algarve. We can still see evidence of the wall surrounding the town for protection. Lagos also has an old fort and its former Slave Market is now an art gallery. You will ride along the world-famous Algarve coast where you can see some amazing Golf resorts and very beautiful beaches.
You will visit Albufeira and Vilamoura, very fancy touristic places, the old quarters in Faro (the city capital of the Algarve), the typical city of Tavira with Moorish influence with its countless buildings and monuments and the amazing Roman bridge over Gil�o river in the historic centre. You will ride along the Natural Park of Ria Formosa, a lagoon system that extends itself over 60km of coast and which is a passing area for the migrating fauna from Europe to North of Africa and it is also the 'winter resort' for many birds from North and Central Europe.
The tour ends in Vila Real Santo Antonio at the border line with Spain. You will notice the differences along the Algarve region: the centre is very developed for tourism and the west and the east still maintain many evidences of the old Portuguese ways and traditions
Day 1: Arrival - Welcome at Faro airport. 1H30 drive to Sagres, briefing about the tour followed by dinner. Lodging in a 4* new hotel with swimming-pool, surrounded by stunning deserted beaches and the wild nature of an unforgettable beauty.
Day 2: The wild Algarve Coast � 43km (27mi), level 3 ( Beach). After breakfast we ride into the SW Alentejo Natural Park where we visit Cape S. Vicente, the south-westernmost point in Continental Europe, with its amazing views on the cliffs. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel with swimming-pool.
Day 3: The famous beaches in the west of the Algarve � 44km (27mi), level 3 ( Beach). After breakfast we continue riding eastwards, we visit the famous Rocha Beach. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel very near to the beach.
Day 4: The wild flamingos near the Sea � 30km (19mi), level 2 ( Beach). After breakfast we pass Ferragudo, a picturesque fisherman's village and we continue along beautiful sceneries where we can see flamingos. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel very near to the beach.
Day 5: The most known city in the Algarve and the Golf courses � 51km (32mi), level 3 ( Beach). After breakfast we ride into the Algarve area which is the most developed area in terms of tourism with vast golf courses: Albufeira, Vilamoura, Quinta do Lago. Picnic on the way. The day ends in Faro, the capital of the Algarve. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel located down town, near the historical and commercial centre in Faro.
Day 6: The birds and the Ria Formosa Natural Park � 42km (26mi), level 2 ( Beach). After breakfast we ride towards another natural paradise: Ria Formosa Natural Park where we can see flamingos and many other birds. Picnic on the way. We pass Tavira, the most typical city in the Algarve. Visit to the tuna fishing museum. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* Eco-hotel whose building was once a typical old tuna fish market.
Day 7: Departure - After breakfast transfer to Faro airport. 1H00 drive to the airport.
Type: Hybrid bike tour
Class: LANDSCAPE TOUR
Version: Guided or Self-Guided
Region of Portugal: Algarve (coast)
Duration: 7 days / 6 nights / 5 days cycling
Begin: Sagres (Algarve)
End: Tavira (Algarve)
Difficulty level (1-5): 1 2 3 4 5
Distance: 212km (131mi)
Average: 42km/day (26mi/day)
Trails: 73% asphalt + 27% dirt roads
The price includes:
- 7-day Hybrid Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Faro Airport
- Accommodations (6 nights): 6 four* Hotels (three Hotels front to the ocean, two cosy Hotels and one Eco-Hotel in a natural preserved area). Double bedroom occupancy.
- 6 Breakfasts
- 5 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 6 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
=> Prices per person, double bedroom occupancy, 4* quality Hotel.
=> If you want a different date, ask us about prices and availability.
HYBRID BIKE: SCOTT Sportster 20 Solution
Frame: Alloy 6061 Double Butted
Fork: Front suspension Suntour, 63mm travel with lock
Brakes: Shimano hydraulic disc brakes
Gears: Shimano Deore, 30 speeds (44x32x24 with 11-34)
Pedals: Normal (with cages or not) or Shimano SPD
Tires: Hybrid 700x40 (28"x1.6)
Weight: 12kg (26 pounds)
Other: Man or woman seat, 2,5 liter front bag on the handlebar and 1,6 liter seat bag.
(please see picture #26)
2. If you wish a different date, ask us for prices and availability.
3. You can join two Portugalbike tours and have a 2-week program (10% discount on the second tour).
4. If you wish to rent a bicycle for this Tour add Euro 100.
5. You can change your Hybrid Bicycle: on Hybrid Bike Tours you can also opt for riding a mountain bike, if you prefer.
6. E-Bikes - Don't feel bad for being the last one: you can also opt for riding an electric-bicycle. See more info here.
7. Prices per Person, double bedroom occupancy, usually 4* quality hotel.
8. Groups: Discount for Groups with 4 or more people.