1. Accommodations in a Historic Hotel, Monastery, Convent, charm hotels and in a Fortress.
2. Visit Sintra UNESCO World Heritage
3. Sintra - Romantic environment and Palaces
4. Peniche and Baleal Peninsulas
5. Obidos the most preserved medieval town in Portugal
6. Almourol - a small castle on the midle of the river
7. The typical portuguese beaches along the coast
8. Fatima - the sacred place and the pilgrims
9. Majestic Marvao Castle from the top and the fortress
10. Fields of Cork trees, Olive trees and vineyards
11. Visit to the winery and wine tasting
12. Evora city - classified as World Heritage by UNESCO
This is a special tour for Avid Cyclists.
This tour is longer than the others, not only with more days but also with more kilometers per day and some more climbs. However, it is not a difficult tour and everyone can do it: you can see the altitude gain per day and the climbing profiles. The criterion for the classification of the Difficulty Level was also different, based on a more demanding criterion.
This programme includes 2 shorter days; it was intentionally designed that way to give you some time off the bicycle to visit Obidos - the most preserved medieval village in Portugal, and Evora - a town classified as World Heritage by UNESCO.
This tour allow you to know some Jewels of Portugal that you can do by bike.
Portugal is a small country but very diverse. You can find many evidences of the many peoples that were here in the past and also the influence of our Discovery Journeys (15th and 16th centuries) that showed the world new worlds. Everything is mingled in our culture, our architecture, our landscape, our gastronomy, etc. In Portugal everything is near. You start riding in the morning and you admire the landscape; you ride some km and you can admire a completely different scenery!
On this 10-day programme you will ride along beautiful and quiet roads, you will visit many typical small towns and villages of Portugal, you will experience the atmosphere of kings and queens, you will have a close contact with our History and you will admire the vast landscapes inland and along our long coast. There would be other wonderful places to visit in Portugal, but it would not be as pleasant on a bike. We designed this tour selecting interesting places and roads avoiding crowds and traffic.
On this tour history and landscape are intertwined in an amazing way! This is the perfect programme for you, without stress!
Day 1: Arrival - Welcome at Lisbon airport. 30min drive to Sintra which is classified as World Heritage by UNESCO, followed by a briefing about the tour and dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel in the center of Sintra town.
Day 2: The luxuriant vegetation and the way to the sea - 96km (60mi), 1292m alt. gain, level 4. We leave Sintra, one of the most beautiful Jewels of Portugal with its Moorish Castle and its sumptuous Palaces and its mystic environment and we cycle in the Natural Park of Sintra-Cascais until we get to the sea, constantly going up and down along the north coast of Lisbon. Lodging in a 4* Hotel located in a ravishing green exterior space overlooking the beautiful blue Atlantic Ocean.
Day 3: Towards Obidos - 52km (32mi), 515m alt. gain, level 2. After a difficult day, this will be perfect to relax a bit until we get to Obidos, the most-well preserved medieval town, with its narrow and winding roads and its whitewashed houses and the castle at the top. This is a shorter day in order to give you the opportunity of visiting this Jewel of Portugal, after having admired the beautiful sea sceneries in Peniche. Lodging in a charming 4* hotel whose building is dated from the 14th century.
Day 4: The Rural Way to the Sanctuary - 92km (57mi), 1351m alt. gain, level 4. Our way continues along the Atlantic Coast, along several beaches, of which Nazare is the most typical one. We cycle now towards inland and we see the grandiose Batalha Monastery. Our way is always very diverse and we get to the sacred place - Fatima - a place of many pilgrimages and prayers; several Popes have visited it several times. This is another Jewel of Portugal. Lodging in 4* hotel very near to the Sanctuary in Fatima town.
Day 5: A small castle in the middle of the river - 65km (40mi), 817m alt. gain, level 3. This is a light day where we can see and visit a small castle in the middle of Tagus river (the same river you see in Lisbon). Today a small boat tour is included taking us to visit this small monument that looks like an enchanted castle. This is another Jewel of Portugal Lodging in a 4* hotel located in a rural area where you can enjoy the quietness of water and nature.
Day 6: Cycling towards the border with Spain - 128km (80mi), 1986m alt. gain, level 5. This is the longest and most difficult day. However we will find many flat roads that will help us to gain some time and cycle fast. We are now in the vast region of Alentejo, and the day ends with the climb to Marvão, another medieval village on the top of the hill, to defend our borders from the Spanish invaders. Marvao is another Jewel of Portugal. Lodging in a cozy 3* Hotel in Marvao, the highest medieval village of Portugal.
Day 7: Experiencing Portuguese History - 57km (35mi), 767m alt. gain, level 3. Today is an easy day, to rest after the difficult day yesterday. We ride down from Marvao to another medieval village, Castelo de Vide; both villages are included in the Natural Park of Sao Mamede Hill. We leave the Natural Park to cycle to a 14th century Monastery which is in the middle of nowhere in the plain. Lodging in a Pousada that manages to combine the genuine characteristics of the former monastery with modern luxury.
Day 8: Discovering Portuguese Heritage - 84km (52mi), 1101m alt. gain, level 4. Alentejo is a region that keeps many secrets, many charms and many relics. Today we cycle along many olive-trees, cork-oak trees and vineyards. This is the land of olives, cork and wine. We will find another hidden treasure at the end of the day. Lodging in an impressive Convent built in 1182 by monks, recently converted in a 4* hotel, with its impressive private collection of eighteenth century Portuguese tile work.
Day 9: Evora - the capital of Alentejo region - 573km (35mi), 504m alt. gain, level 2. This is the last day and the easiest one. This was planned to give you the opportunity of visiting the last Jewel of Portugal of this program - Evora, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO, due to its ancient History which dates back to Roman times; there are innumerous ancient evidences and monuments in this strategic region. Visit to a pottery workshop. Visit to a winery and wine tasting. Lodging in a 4* Hotel with swimming-pool, located in the middle of the historical center of Evora, next to the 14th century city wall.
Day 10: Departure - After breakfast we leave to Lisbon airport - 2H00 drive.
Type: Road bike tour
Class: HISTORIC TOUR
Version: Guided or Self-Guided
Regions: North of Lisbon region (coast) and Alentejo (inland)
Duration: 10 days / 9 nights / 8 days cycling
Begin: Sintra (North of Lisbon - Nat. Park)
End: Evora (Alentejo- inland)
Difficulty level (1-5): 1 2 3 4 5
Advanced. You are fit and in good shape
Distance: 616km (383mi)
Average: 77km/day (48mi/day)
Trails: 100% asphalt
The price includes:
- 10-day Road Bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (9 nights): 1 five* Design Hotel, 1 Pousada (14th century Monastery), 1 four* Hotel (12th century Convent), 1 four* Charm Hotels, 1 four* Historic Hotel (a former Military Convent), 3 four* Hotels (one near the beach, one in the middle of Nature, one in a sacred place), 1 three* Charming Hotel whithin a Fortress. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 9 Breakfasts
- 7 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 9 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about PortugalBike Tour
- Personal Accident Insurance and Liability Insurance.
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
- Visit to Pottery Workshop (*)
- Visit to a small castle in the middle of the river (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
=> Prices per person, double bedroom occupancy, 4* quality Hotel.
=> If you want a different date, ask us about prices and availability.
ROAD RACE BIKE: BH L41 Carbon Spirit Ultegra
Frame: Carbon fiber
Fork: Carbon fiber
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
Gears: Shimano Ultegra/105, 30 Speeds
Pedals: Normal (with cages or not), Shimano SPD or Look Keo Classic
Tires: Road, 700x23
Other: Man or woman seat, frame triangle bag, seat bag.
2. If you wish a different date, ask us for prices and availability.
3. If you wish to rent a bicycle for this Tour add Euro 160.
4. You can change your Road Race Bike: on Road bike tours you can also opt for riding a Hybrid Bike, if you prefer.
5. E-Bikes - Don't feel bad for being the last one: you can also opt for riding an electric-bicycle. See more info here.
6. Prices per Person, double bedroom occupancy, usually 4* Historic Hotels.
7. Groups: Discount for Groups with 4 or more people.