1. The National Park of SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast
2. The most preserved coast all over Europe
3. The National Park of Arrabida Hill
4. Vast fields of vegetable crops
5. Crossing a dense and long Cork Oak Forest
6. The limpid and clear water of the sea
7. Cape S. Vicente - the birds and the sunset into the Atlantic Ocean
8. Sagres - the south-westernmost town of Continental Europe
9. The gorgeous beaches and the beautiful coast of the Algarve region
10. The amazing single-tracks near the cliffs
11. The deep blue of the sky and the sea
12. Cycling on the fisherman's trails
Starting in Sesimbra, you will enter one of the lushest areas south of Lisbon � the Natural Park of Arrabida. On one side of the park, you'll admire beautiful Mediterranean landscape and at the other side, the gorgeous coast with accessible beaches where the fine sand and clear sea waters provide a strong contrast of unusual colours.
You will go on to SW Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park which extends itself along the Portuguese coast and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. This SW landscape is 300 million years old and it is one of the most preserved landscapes all over Europe; human intervention has been less visible throughout its history. Once submerged (about 2 million years ago), this is a vast area with many different coastal habitats and countless beaches and cliffs.
Our daily tours include going to the wonderful beaches of this Natural Park and taking a swim in the clear, blue sea. Cliffs are steep, almost 100m high and right above the ocean. Countless rocks and isolated islets complete this beautiful and unique scenery. You will cross a deep cork oak forest constantly riding up and down. You will feel alone with the Nature in a Mediterranean environment, where you must be aware that there are nobody around you until get the sea. The west coast boasts a diversity of rare botanical species, with very interesting flora and a variety of maritime birds that nest here. Cape S. Vicente is a passing area for thousands of birds of prey.
The tour also goes to Sagres, which is the south-westernmost point in continental Europe, the place from where our brave forefathers sailed on their caravels seeking new peoples and continents. Finally, you will visit some of the beaches of our famous Algarve including the cosmopolitan city of Lagos. This is one of the oldest towns in Algarve. We can still see evidence of the wall surrounding the town for protection. Lagos also has an old fort and its former Slave Market is now an art gallery.
Day 1: Arrival - Welcome at Lisbon airport, transfer to Sesimbra and briefing about the tour followed by dinner. Lodging in a 4* Hotel with sophisticated amenities in an idyllic setting where Nature and Sea come together in true happiness.
Day 2: The luxuriant forest of the National Park of Arrabida Hill - 44km (27mi), 777m ascent, level 3. Breakfast. Our cycling takes place along the amazing trails in the Arrabida National Park. Lodging in a 3* Hotel that invites you to the beauty and calmness of the Natural Reserve of Sado.
Day 3: Crossing a deep Cork Oak Forest - 62km (39mi), 1074m ascent, level 4. Breakfast. Our day starts in the quiet village called Comporta with an amazing view of rice-fields and storks. We ride towards the hills with a Mediterranean environment where cork-oak trees are abundant. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel where the old and the new mingle perfectly.
Day 4: Riding in the most well preserved coast of Europe - 50km (31mi), 780m ascent, level 3 ( Beach). Breakfast. We ride from the hills to the coast and the sea, the place where the long protected west coast of Portugal starts, the National Park of Vicentine Coast. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a small town classified as a Touristic Paradise, near the beach.
Day 5: The vast fields of vegetable crops - 64km (40mi), 682m ascent, level 3 ( Beach). After breakfast we ride towards Cape Sardao, a paradisiacal spot perfect for meditation. We visit Zambujeira do Mar and we end in Odeceixe, another village near the sea. Picnic on the way. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a Bed & Breakfast unit with a refreshing swimming-pool that is waiting for you.
Day 6: The beautiful Beaches at Vicentine Coast - 52km (32mi), 814m ascent, level 3. After breakfast we ride towards Aljezur with its castle on the top dated from the 10th century. We continue riding southwards, we cross the woods, hills and valleys until we get to Carrapateira, always full of surfers. Picnic on the way. Lodging in a small house in the most typical village near the west coast of the Algarve, very calm and very quiet.
Day 7: The south-westernmost point of Europe - 43km (27mi), 557m ascent, level 3. Breakfast. Riding towards the Cape S. Vincent and Sagres town. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* new hotel with swimming-pool, surrounded by stunning deserted beaches and the wild nature of an unforgettable beauty.
Day 8: The Coast of the Algarve (The Single-Track Day) - 53km (33mi), 1164m ascent, level 4 ( Beach). After breakfast we start riding; this is the day of the single-tracks. We ride along the south coast of the Algarve and we can see the difference when the Natural Park ends and the touristic Algarve starts. Before getting to Lagos we visit Ponta da Piedade where the sea and the wind have shaped beautiful rocks creating an amazing view. Dinner with the group. Lodging in a 4* hotel with swimming-pool, that epitomises the Algarve culture, with blue and white corridors which link the rooms, patios, restaurants and bar
Day 9: Departure - After breakfast transfer to Lisbon airport. 3H00 drive to airport.
Type: mountain bike tour
Class: LANDSCAPE TOUR
Version: Guided or Self-Guided
Regions of Portugal: South Lisbon, Alentejo and Algarve (coast)
Duration: 9 days / 8 nights / 7 days cycling
Begin: Sesimbra (Natural Park of Arrabida)
End: Lagos (Algarve)
Difficulty level (1-5): 1 2 3 4 5
Intermediate. You must be in good shape
Distance: 370km (231mi)
Average: 53km/day (33mi/day)
Trails: 81% off-road + 19% asphalt
- 9-day mountain bike Tour with a Guide (*)
- Transfers from and to Lisbon Airport
- Accommodations (8 nights): 4 four* Hotels (1 charming Hotel, 2 Design Hotels, 1 cosy Hotel), 1 cosy three* Hotel, 3 B&B/Rural Tourism. Double bedroom occupancy.
- 8 Breakfasts
- 3 nourishing and energetic picnics (*)
- 8 Dinners (including our famous wines, our amazing cheeses and lovely desserts) (*)
- Daily energy-bars and water (*)
- Luggage transport from Hotel to Hotel
- Documentation about Portugalbike tour
- Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Techno-Mechanical Assistance (*)
- First-Aid assistance on location (*)
- Permanent Backup Vehicle (*)
(*) Not included in Self-Guided Tours
=> Prices per person, double bedroom occupancy, 4* quality Hotel.
=> If you want a different date, ask us about prices and availability.
MOUNTAIN BIKE: BH A60k Expert Disc
Frame: Light alluminium
Fork: Front suspension 100mm with lock on the handlebar
Brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes
Gears: Shimano XT/LX, 27 speeds
Pedals: Normal (with cages or not) or Shimano SPD
Tires: MTB 26"x2.1
Other: Man or woman seat
(please see picture #26)
2. The Gorgeous West Coast: Enjoy seven days mountain biking from the south of Lisbon to the Algarve along the coast cycling on dense valleys and on the top of the amazing cliffs.
One of the most beautiful mountain bike tours that you can do along the most well preserved coast of Europe.
3. If you wish a different date, ask us for prices and availability.
4. If you wish to rent a bicycle for this Tour add Euro 175.
5. Prices per Person, double bedroom occupancy, usually 4* quality hotel.
6. Groups: Discount for Groups with 4 or more people.
|September 09 || 2,590 Euro|| 1,910 Euro||Per person/trip|
|October 05|| 2,410 Euro|| 1,700 Euro||per person/trip|
|November 03|| 2,170 Euro|| 1,560 Euro||per person/trip|