Peyrafort Hill itself was the actual vantage point South before reaching the major Roman settlement at Tintignac, Naves; the translation from old French of Peyrafort meaning 'Fort of High Stones'. It is likely a dwelling existed here at this time, as the old Roman road leads directly to the Manor.
The Archive of Tulle has traced evidence of the current building back to 1445 and records suggest the first occupiers also shared the name Peyrafort.
In 1588, Pierre de Fènis was Seigneur (Sir) de Peyrafort. This family name was retained throughout the 17th century and in 1663 one of his descendents Pierre de Fènis was made custodian of the 'Kings Seal' at the Royal seat of Tulle. Around 1725 when, following a family feud, the title and 'Fief de Peyrafort' meaning 'Stronghold of High Stones' was won by Seigneur Philip Louis Fortier 'receiver of land from the King'. In 1772, his son Antoine Fortier received power of attorney from King Louis XV in recognition of his loyal service, thus taking over the title and the stronghold 'Fief de Peyrafort'.
The Manor house was purchased in 2003 by Frances and Ian Black who lovingly set about restoring their privately funded project, known locally as 'The Chateau'.
FROM North A20 (Limoges to Toulouse) J45 / D920 / D1120
FROM North / West / East A89 (Bordeaux / Clermont Ferrand) (J20) sign for Tulle CENTRE
FROM South A20 / E70/ E09 / D1089 - through Tulle centre - Direction Paris / Guéret D1120 - follow our Brown & White Heritage signs.
GPS 01 ° 46' 18'' E - 45 ° 16' 53'' N. Or search using RUE DE PEYRAFORT
Train - limoges - Brive - Tulle