Kilbrittain nestles quietly in the coastal woodlands south of Bandon. The main beaches in the area are Harbour View, Coolmaine, Howes Strand and Burren. Kilbrittain Castle (C1035AD) is romantically located amid wooded hills, glens and beaches overlooking Kilbrittain Bay. The castle is now privately owned. In 1500 one of the great Irish manuscripts, The Book of the McCarthy Reigh or The Book of Lismore, was written here by the monk O'Cleary, one of The Four Masters. This Book can now be found in the National Museum in Dublin.
Directions to Harbour Crest B&B:
· Take R600 towards Ballinspittle and Clonakilty
· Through Ballinspittle, turn right following R600 for Clonakilty
Approximately 3 miles beyond Ballinspittle turn left over stone bridge across the estuary. Pass the Pink Elephant Pub & Restaurant and after 1 mile you will see the sign for Harbour Crest B&B. Harbour Crest is located on the L6099
· Turn right onto R600 for Timoleague
From Timoleague follow signs for Kinsale and after 3 miles look you will see the sign for Harbour Crest B&B. harbour Crest B&B is located on the L6099
· Take R603 to Kilbrittain.
· Turn right at church
· Turn left at next crossroads
· After 30 metres, take a right at the fork in the road
Harbour Crest is the second house on the left past the church on a bend.