The original house was the work of Sir William Cavendish and his third wife Bess of Hardwick in the mid 16th Century.
The first duke rebuilt Chatsworth in classic style between 1686 and 1707, the library and North wing were added between 1790 and 1858.
Among the most famous visitors to Chatsworth was Mary Queen of Scots who was here as guest and prisoner of Bess of Hardwick and her fourth husband the earl of Shrewsbury between 1573 and 1582.
The house contains one of Europe’s finest art collections together with fine furniture, everything is on a grand scale; the great staircase, the state drawing room, the state music room, huge tapestries cover many of the walls.
The house is still the home of the present 12th duke and duchess of Devonshire.
The 105 acre garden has evolved over more than 450 years, there are five miles of walks with rare trees, shrubs, hedges, sculptures and a 300 year old cascade flowing 200 yards down the hillside to the emperor fountain.
Send An E-Card