Tour d’Afrique Ltd, is named for its 2003 flagship cycling tour that annually traverses the African continent from Cairo to Cape Town (7,500 miles in four months).
Directly and indirectly Tour d’Afrique benefits third world countries by organizing and staging transcontinental bicycle tours and races lasting 10 days to four months, today traversing all or part of five continents and over 30 countries.
In addition to Tour d'Afrique, the company will offer eight other epic cycling tours in 2011:
- The North American Epic from San Francisco to St. John’s, Newfoundland
- The Orient Express from Paris to Istanbul
- Samba Tango Adventure from Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires
- Vuelta Sudamericana from Buenos Aires to Lima
- Spotlight on Turkey from Ankara to Istanbul
- The Indian Adventure from Agra to Kanyakumari
- and two tours that spotlight Namibia - The Rugged North and The Scenic South.
Tour d’Afrique’s mission is to create cycling events that appeal to amateurs and professionals alike. Participants range from ages 18 to 80 and the common thread is a spirit of high adventure and a desire for truly transformational travel experiences.
The company’s new DreamTour web 2.0 concept encourages individuals to submit their own trip of a lifetime that will then be open and crowd-sourced to other riders who may want to join in.
A Tour d'Afrique Foundation promotes giving back to the communities touched by the tours and raises consciousness about the many benefits of bicycles as a means of sustainable transportation.